Nigeria Declares End To Outbreak Of Lassa Fever

The Federal Ministry of Health has declared that the Lassa Fever outbreak which has ravaged the country is over.

No less than 423 confirmed cases were reported with 106 deaths from the disease outbreak since January, when the NCDC began containment measures.

Speaking at a press briefing on Thursday, the Health Minister, Prof. Isaac Adewole, disclosed that the control was a joint epidemiological review by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control(NCDC) and World Health Organisation(WHO).

Mr Adewole said the Lassa fever outbreak has been declared over for this year not because there won’t be more cases, but because there has been a consistent and significant decline in the past six weeks.

“What it means is that the threat has been minimized and we shouldn’t go to sleep because based on what we experienced last year, we still expect to see occasional cases.” The minister said.

“The outbreak has dropped below levels considered to be a national emergency. The Lassa fever outbreak provided an opportunity for us to review and strengthen our public health across disease preparedness, detection, surveillance and response.”

“We are working very closely with WHO to strengthen research activities on Lassa fever, including new diagnostic approaches and improved treatment options,” he said.

On the level of preparedness and response, Adewole revealed that the NCDC has begun a nationwide training of health workers on Lassa fever management and diagnosis.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*